- Well Kept Secret of How Activities for Senior Citizens Slows Aging
- Taking Care of Elderly Parents with Dementia and Uninvolved Siblings
- 10 Top Reasons Baby Boomers are Choosing to Stay in Their Home Age
- Off Balance ? Try Tai Chi for Seniors
- Elder Independence: Caregiver Tip to Avoid Dependence
- Alleged Painkiller Theft By Nurse News Triggers Caregiver PTSD
- Can’t Sleep? Difficulty Falling Asleep? Often A Side Effect of Human Aging
- Breaking: New study legitimizes ‘Complicated Grief,’ treatment effective without meds
- Yet Another Study Underscores Veteran Suicide Problem
- Memorial Day Disgrace: Veterans Killing Themselves, Not Getting the Help They Need
Dementia Types:Animal Naming Test
When testing for dementia types the animal naming test is a simple one to administer. The goal is to ask the person to simply name as many animals as possible in a certain time period, such as one minute. You must write down the answers, so you can check for duplicate responses. You do not count nor do you mention that they already said that one before.
How to determine the results
The animal naming test is one of the fastest and easiest of all the tests for determining types of dementia to perform. I know what you are thinking. How accurate is it?
The goal of this test is to score at least 14. That means naming at least 14 animals in one minute.
Most individuals with normal thinking have the ability to name 14 or more animals in a minute. Those with memory problems or displaying symptoms of dementia will not be able to do as well. Scoring below 14 can be an indication of impaired memory ability. Those individuals with a score below 14 most likely have a diagnosis of one of the types of dementia . Several studies have shown that 85% of those that were unable to name at least 14 animals actually were given a definitive diagnosis of dementia.
Surprisingly, this test is considered highly effective in identifying general dementia It is even more accurate than some of the more involved and popular tests such as the mini mental exam, we will discuss this exam later. First I will explain what the clock test tells us.